Textual SermonsTHE DAY OF HIS POWER
1. Who / what rules your life? - Matt. 6:24
2. Psa. 110 - We must understand & submit to the rule of Christ. Jesus is king!
a. v. 1 - Anointed by God / At His right hand / Until His enemies are subjugated.
b. The day of Christ's power is here! - Psa. 110:3; Matt. 28:18
c. We must have willing hearts to yield to Christ in all things!
3. Sovereignty of Christ must be honored & obeyed in order to be saved.
I. JESUS HAS POWER OVER SIN - Heb. 1:3 (He made purification of sins); 1 Jno. 3:8; Heb. 2:14-15.
A. He Is Our Sacrifice For Sins (Gal. 1:4).
1. Heb. 2:9-10 - Means of our salvation.
2. Exaltation at God's right hand confirms his victory over sin! (Heb. 1:3)
a. Heb. 9:26 - Once offered - Sufficient.
b. 10:10-13 - One sacrifice for sin forever - Fulfills of Psa. 110:1!
B. He Is Our High Priest - Psa. 110:4.
1. Work of high priest - Heb. 5:1; 2:17-18.
2. After likeness of Melchizedek - Heb. 7:1-3, 15-17.
a. King & priest simultaneously/appointed by God/Enduring priesthood
b. 7:15-17 - His eternal life empowers His priesthood! (cf. v. 24)
c. 7:20-21 - Received by oath of God (appointed by God, Heb. 5:5-6).
3. Serves over the church in heaven - Heb. 8:1-2 (10:21).
4. Obtained eternal redemption - Heb. 9:11-14.
5. He appears before God for us - 9:24-26.
-The fulfillment of Psa. 110 assures us of Christs power over sin as our sacrifice & high priest! Our salvation from spiritual death is only in Him (Acts 4:12).
II. JESUS HAS POWER OVER DEATH - Jno. 11:25-26.
A. His Resurrection From The Dead - 1 Cor. 15:20
1. Christs resurrection is the firstfruits of resurrection (signifies future harvest).
2. Acts 2:32-35 - His resurrection & exaltation evidenced by Holy Spirit baptism - Psa. 110:1 fulfilled - His power over death is secure!
B. Our Resurrection From The Dead - Jno. 11:25.
1. 1 Cor. 15:21-26 - Death abolished in resurrection - Final fulfillment of Psa. 110:1!
2. 15:51-57 - Victory through Jesus Christ!
3. Our response: 1 Cor. 15:58!
III. JESUS HAS POWER OVER MANKIND (WORLD) - Psa. 110:2.
A. Christ Exercises Universal Authority By Means Of His Gospel (Rod - Token of the kings power) - Jno. 17:2; Matt. 28:18; Eph. 1:20-23.
1. His enemies & His people are equally under and accountable to His rule (authority) - Col. 3:17.
2. The gospel is His instrument of rule:
a. Isa. 2:3 - His word to go forth from Jerusalem (11:4).
b. Matt. 28:18 - His right to rule.
c. Mk. 16:15 - Preach GOSPEL to ALL (by the gospel His authority over all men is made know!)
d. Same gospel which condemns sin also saves the sinner (Rom. 1:16; Jno. 12:48)
3. Heb. 1:1-3 - The word of His power has gone out from His throne!
a. 110:2 - His enemies rebel against His authority Þ They will be cut down (v. 5-6).
b. 110:3 - His people obey (2 Cor. 8:5) Þ They will be exalted (v. 7)
B. Jesus Will Judge The World - 110:5-6.
1. Jno. 5:27 - Given authority to judge.
2. Jno. 12:48 - His word the standard.
3. Acts 17:31 - Appointed by God.
C. We Must Submit To Jesus Word - Psa. 2:10-12 (Lk. 6:46; Matt. 7:24-27).
1. Jesus is at the right hand of God reigning in the "day of His power."
2. We must submit to His rule in our lives by obeying the gospel so that we are blessed by His power over sin and death.