Topical Studies Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Psalms 6
BIBLE QUESTION BOX
1. Psalm 6 is a penitential psalm; David makes a plea for divine mercy & protection as he expresses godly sorrow for his sins.
2. This man after God’s own heart also sinned, sought & obtained forgiveness.
#1: Why was God displeased with David’s census of Israel in 1 Chron. 21? (2 Sam. 24)
Ans. It showed a failure to trust in God.
1. Numbering Israel was not wrong, per se – Num. 1:1-3; 26:1-2.
2. David’s heart (intent/motive) was wrong - 2 Sam. 24:10.
a. 1 Chrn. 21:2 – For his own knowledge (Pride? Vanity? Self-exaltation?) – cf. 1 Chrn. 27:23 (Prov. 16:18).
b. Probably a desire to be fully acquainted with his military power, thus trusting in his own might & not faithfully relying on the strength of God.
3. Lack of faith in God’s promise to multiply (strengthen & protect) Israel – 1 Chrn. 21:3-4; 27:23-24.
-God reduced their number by 70,000! (1 Chrn. 21:14)
4. God was angry with Israel & used this temptation & sin of David to bring a sever punishment upon the nation – 2 Sam. 24:1; 1 Chrn. 21:7.
a. 1 Chrn. 21:1 – Satan moved David; 2 Sam. 24:1 – God moved David.
b. God allowed the temptation; God did not compel David to sin.
c. Satan is the Adversary who tempts man – Job 1:12 (2:10).
d. God used the occasion to bring punishment upon Israel (2 Sam. 24:1; 1 Chrn. 21:7).
5. David heart condemned him; he acknowledged his sin – 2 Sam. 24:10; 1 Chrn. 21:8.
a. Punishment & mercy – 1 Chrn. 21:9-15 (plague killed 70,000).
6. Lesson: Trust the strength of the Lord, His word & promises in your life (Prov. 3:5-6; Rom. 8:31; Heb. 13:5-6; Phil. 4:13).
#2: According to Scripture, where did the Devil come from and why does he have the power he has?
-Where did the Devil come from?
1. Devil is real, not a “personification of evil in men’s minds” (caricatured, fictionalized, etc.). Bible tells us he is real & active in the world.
2. Where did the Devil come from?
a. A created being – Col. 1:15-17 (16).
1) Does not mean God created him evil (would make God the source or cause of all evil – Psa. 5:4; Jas. 1:13).
2) Satan chose his evil course of direct opposition to God:
a) He made sin his career – 1 Jno. 3:8.
b) Instigator & perpetrator of murder (physical, spiritual & eternal death) – Jno. 8:44; Heb. 2:14.
-Why does he have the power he has?
1. We can only answer to the extent that has been revealed to us.
2. Satan acts within the boundaries established by God.
3. Satan acts within the constraint of man’s personal choice – not involuntary dominance – cf. Jno. 13:2, 27.
a. God’s controlling hand is present to protect us if we choose it! Eph. 6:11-13
b. Rev. 20:2 - He has been bound by the superior power of Christ (cf. Dog on a chain – can still bite you if you get too close!).
4. He is not all-powerful – cf. Job 1:12; 2:6.
5. He is not all present – Lk. 4:13; Jas. 4:7.
-You can resist Satan & he will flee (1 Pet. 5:9).
6. Satan and our temptations (2 Cor. 2:11).
a. He entices us to sin using our desires (lusts) - Jas. 1:13-14.
1) He presents sin as pleasurable (Heb. 11:25).
2) He presents sin as beneficial (Gen. 3:4-5).
3) He presents sin as a right (Gen. 3:5).
b. He tries to blind us to the truth of God’s ways (2 Cor. 4:3-4).
#3: Are aliens real?
1. No - There is no Bible evidence to conclude aliens are real.
2. The evolutionist says, “yes” since to him, life came from nothing & (he asserts) could have duplicated itself other places in the universe.
3. What evidence exists? Is it trustworthy? If none, or lacking credibility, not believable.
4. If aliens are real, it necessarily means certain things:
a. Means they were created by God – Gen. 1:1; Acts 4:24.
1) Either in the image of God, or not (Gen. 1:26-27).
a) If not, then they are not intelligent, but instinctive.
b) If they are, then they are like us (immortal, morally responsible).
2) If intelligent (God’s image), they also have a moral capacity. Are they sinners? Do they need a Savior? Etc.
5. Talk about vain babblings!! – 1 Tim. 6:20-21 (2 Tim. 2:16).
6. Aliens are the stuff of fiction, upon which we place our fears & our hopes, our anxieties & our anticipations.
7. Psa. 8:3-9 – Man is God’s highest creation in the material realm!
If you are in sin, in godly sorrow, repent & obey the gospel of Christ.