Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Psalms 148:1-6
BIBLE QUESTION BOX: Angels
1. Fascination with angels; People have all kinds of pre-conceived notions / myths about angels, including…
a. Angels look like people with wings.
b. Angels are passive.
c. Everybody has a personal, guardian angel.
2. Question: Could you explain the purpose of angels? Are they active in our lives today? How would you start a conversation with someone who believes in guardian angels?
I. PURPOSE OF ANGELS: Ministering Spirits, Psa. 103:20-21; Heb. 1:13-14.
A. Definition of Angel: “Messenger” (aggelos).
1. “…a messenger, envoy, one who is sent, an angel, a messenger from God” (Online Bible Greek Lexicon).
2. “The word angel is applied in Scripture to an order of supernatural or heavenly beings whose business it is to act as God’s messengers to men, and as agents who carry out His will.” (ISBE)
3. Messengers and instruments of the Divine will.
B. Origin & Nature: Created beings that inhabit the spirit realm – Psa. 148:1-5.
1. Created through the Son & for the Son – Col. 1:16. (Not dead humans – the dead do not become angels.)
2. Called “sons of God” – Job 38:4-7 (1:6).
3. Above humans – Psa. 8:4-5 (Yet, seems that saints will be elevated above them in judgment – 1 Cor. 6:3).
4. Free will & can sin, but no redemption – 2 Pet. 2:4 (Jude 6).
5. Limited in knowledge – Matt. 24:36; 1 Pet. 1:10-12; Eph. 3:10-11.
6. Do not marry – Matt. 22:30.
7. Not to be worshiped – Rev. 22:8-9 (5:11).
II. ARE THEY ACTIVE IN OUR LIVES TODAY?
A. Past: Delivered Divine Messages to Man (Heb. 1:1).
1. Law of Moses – Acts 7:38, 53; Gal. 3:19; Heb. 2:2.
2. Gospel age – Acts 5:19-20; 8:26; 10:3-6; Rev. 1:1.
3. Not to alter revealed truth (or listen to one who did) – Gal. 1:8.
B. Present: Serve before God’s Throne on Behalf of God’s People – Heb. 1:14.
1. The visible activity of angels has come to an end.
2. Fight for God’s people – cf. Rev. 12:7-8 (Dan. 12:1).
1. At the death of the righteous – Lk. 16:22.
2. Separation of wicked from the just – Matt. 13:49.
3. Execute divine wrath at 2nd coming – 2 Ths. 1:7 (Matt. 13:41).
III. WHAT ABOUT GUARDIAN ANGELS?
A. Catholic Definition: Not in Bible.
-Guardian angel: “That every individual soul has a guardian angel has never been defined by the Church, and is, consequently, not an article of faith; but it is the “mind of the Church”, as St. Jerome expressed it: “how great the dignity of the soul, since each one has from his birth an angel commissioned to guard it.” (Comm. in Matt., xviii, lib. II). –Catholic Encyclopedia
B. Angels, who are in the Presence of God, are Interested in us – Matt. 18:10.
1. Sympathetic to the fortunes of men (rejoice when sinners repent, Lk. 15:10).
2. Concerned for our salvation – 1 Pet. 1:12.
3. Serve the people of God as they are sent forth by God to accomplish His will & work on our behalf – Heb. 1:14 (fellow servants, Rev. 22:9).
4. Why not start a conversation about guardian angels with: "Did you know the term ‘guardian angel’ is not in the Bible?"
1. The gospel has brought us into the presence of “an innumerable company of angels” – Heb. 12:22-23.
2. The angels will be present when Jesus either confesses or denies knowing you – Lk. 12:8-9.
3. Confess & worship Jesus now – follow the example of the angels! Rev. 7:11-12