THE ROMAN ROAD TO SALVATION
1. Maps are a wonderful thing - when used properly!
2. The NT is our "map" to salvation - heavenly home (Heb. 11:13-16).
3. Romans is an example of the gospel's road map to salvation.
-"The Roman Road" is used extensively by those who believe and teach one is saved before and without water baptism ("faith only").
4. Let's see where the Roman Road takes us on its way to heaven.
I. THE ROMAN ROAD TO SALVATION: THE BIBLE MAP.
A. The Map: The Gospel of Christ - Rom. 1:16.
B. The Destination: Salvation and Eternal Life - Rom. 6:22-23.
C. The Obstacle: Sin.
1. All are sinners (Rom. 3:9, 19, 23; 5:12).
2. "Acquittal of the guilt of sin", escape sin's punishment (6:23).
D. The Route: Jesus Christ - Jno. 14:6.
1. God's grace - Rom. 3:24-25; 5:8-11.
2. Man's faith - Rom. 1:16-17; 3:21-22, 26-28; 4:1-5. Obedient faith is saving faith - cf. Rom. 1:5, 16:26; 6:17-18.
3. Result of God's grace and man's obedient faith:
a. Righteousness - Rom. 1:17; 4:5.
b. Freed from sin - Rom. 6:17-18.
c. Justified from sin - Rom. 6:7 (6:4-5).
d. Justified, saved and reconciled to God - Rom. 5:9-10.
4. Remain faithful to Christ - Rom. 6:1; 12:1; 11:22.
II. THE "FAITH ONLY" ROMAN ROAD MAP.
Romans 3:23 - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 10:9 - That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Romans 10:13 - for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
-It is the word of God, but it doesn't go all the way down the road!-
A. Please Notice:
1. Yes, God asks (commands) us to do something to be saved!
2. How does the Bible say to accept Christ as Savior and Lord? How do I "ask" for the free gift of salvation?
-(More than prayer and repentance - Acts 9:9, 11; 22:16)
3. The "faith only" map doesn't tell sinners everything they need to do to be saved!
4. This map is not an accurate reproduction of "The Roman Road!"
III. THE "FAITH ONLY" ROAD and THE BIBLE ROAD.
A. The Faith Only Map of the 'Roman Road' Comes Up Short.
1. Believe Jesus died for you.
2. Confess you are a sinner.
3. Repent of your sins.
4. Pray the 'sinner's prayer.'
B. The Bible Map of the 'Roman Road.'
1. Believe in Christ - Rom. 1:16; 10:9-11.
2. Repent of sins - Rom. 2:4.
3. Confess faith in Christ as Lord - Rom. 10:9-10.
4. Baptized into Christ - Rom. 6:3-5.
-Saved, freed from sin, in Christ, no condemnation.
5. Be faithful to Christ - Rom. 6:1; 11:22; 12:1.
-It really is just that simple!
1. Which map will you follow: The Bible edition of the Roman Road map, or man's edited version of that road map?
2. Lk. 6:46 - Don't call Jesus Lord unless you are willing to do what He says!
3. Be saved by Him now! - Rom. 2:3-4