1 Peter 2:5
1. Sacrifice (thusia) - "The act of offering; then, objectively, that which is offered" (Vine). [Idolatrous - Acts 7:41; animals offered under the Law - Heb.10:1; of Christ - Eph. 5:2.]
2. Sacrifices have certain characteristics: Presentation (Lev. 1:3-5; Rom. 12:1); Personal (Lev. 1:2; Rom. 12:1); Value (2 Sam. 24:24); To be acceptable, must conform to God's wishes (Lev. 10:1-2; 1 Pet. 2:5).
3. 1 Pet. 2:5 - We have the spiritual obligation / privilege to present offerings / sacrifices to God & to be accepted!
I. THE BODY OF THE CHRISTIAN - Rom. 12:1.
A. Present Our Body To God To Accomplish His Will - 1 Cor. 6:13; Rom. 6:12-14; 1 Ths. 4:1-8.
1. Body to be a living, active instrument in God's service.
2. 1 Cor. 6:13 - Body is for the Lord.
3. Rom. 6:12-14 - Present (yield) bodies, not to lusts, but to God to do righteousness (cf. 1 Jno. 2:29).
4. 1 Ths. 4:1-8 - Our walk must abstain from sexual sin & defilement of the flesh (Rom. 13:13-14).
a. Abstain from sinful uses of body: Drinking, dancing, fornication, lewdness, immodesty - 1 Pet. 4:3-4.
b. Practice: Service, love, speech, obedience to God.
6. Mk. 7:20-23 - Cleanse the heart - Use of body clean.
II. THE SACRIFICE OF FAITH - Phil. 2:17.
A. Our Faith Is A Presentation To God - Heb. 11:6 (cf. v. 4).
B. The Sacrifice Of Faith Is The Christian's Life (Conduct), Which Comes From Faith - Phil. 2:17.
1. 1:9-11 - The fruits of righteousness (love, spiritual discernment).
2. 1:27 - Unity of faith; Opposition to Satan.
3. 1:29-30 - Suffering for Christ (1 Pet. 4:16).
4. 2:12 - Working out salvation (bring it to completion).
5. 2:14-16 - W/o murmuring, hold forth word of life.
-Is our faith that which God will accept? (Jas. 2:14, 24, 26)
III. MATERIAL ASSISTANCE GIVEN TO OTHERS - Phil. 4:18.
A. Support Gospel Preachers In Their Work - 4:15-16.
B. Helping Needy Saints - 2 Cor. 9:12-15; 1 Jno. 3:16-17.
C. Sharing With Others (Meeting Their Needs) - Heb. 13:16.
IV. THE SACRIFICE OF PRAISE - Heb. 13:15.
A. God Is Praised When We Confess His Name In Our Lives - Mal. 1:11-12; Matt. 10:32-33.
B. Our Assembled Worship Provides Such An Opportunity - Heb. 10:24-25.
1. Neglect of worship is a refusal to offer the sacrifice of praise to God! - cf. Psa. 42:4
2. Worship is a seeking of God's favor - cf. Zech. 8:20-23.
C. Our Private Time Provides Such An Opportunity - Jas. 5:13; cf Acts 16:25.
1 Pet. 2:5 - For the Christian, every act of faith, every word of praise, every pure thought, every service rendered, every obedient act, is a spiritual sacrifice unto God (Rom. 12:1).