WE ARE SAVED BY
1. A common mistake when studying, teaching & obeying the Bible is to accept only part of its teachings while excluding other equally valid & essential truths - Rev. 22:19; Acts 20:27.
2. Psa. 119:160 - The entirety (sum) of God's word is truth. Hence, all God says on a given subject constitutes His will on that subject.
3. Example: What saves us? Some, by their doctrines, teachings &/or practices, accept some things as essential to salvation while excluding others things which are also joined to salvation in the scriptures. We cannot do this with God's approval! - Col. 3:17; Gal. 1:6-8
· Illus. - When someone is saved from a burning building what saves him? (Oxygen? Firemen? Ladder truck? Person who called 911? Etc.)
4. Let us reason together about those things which saves us.
I. SALVATION IS FROM GOD - Jno. 3:16; 2 Tim. 1:8-9.
A. Jesus Christ Is The Savior Of The World - Lk. 19:10; 2 Tim. 1:9; Acts 4:12.
B. Every Person Needs The Salvation Of The Lord - Jno. 3:16.
1. Because all have sinned - Rom. 3:23.
2. Because the wages of sin is death - Rom. 6:23; 2 Ths. 1:8-9.
-While salvation is from God "in Christ Jesus," it is also said to be by or in a number of other things, all of which are essential in order to be saved by Christ from our sins.
II. SINNERS ARE SAVED:
A. By The Word Of God - Jas. 1:21; Rom. 1:16-17 (1 Cor. 15:1-2).
1. Some say we can't understand it doesn't matter what it says as long as you are sincere you are okay (1 Tim. 2:3-4)
2. Jno. 8:31-32 - Jesus said it is essential for our freedom from sin!
B. By God's Grace - Acts 15:11; Eph. 2:4-8; Rom. 3:24.
-God's grace is obtained
1. By the mercy of God - Tit. 3:4-5; cf. Rom. 2:4 (2 Pet. 3:9).
2. By the blood of Jesus Christ - Rom. 5:8-9; Eph. 1:7 (1 Pet. 1:18-19).
3. By Christ's life (resurrected from the dead) - Rom. 5:10; 4:25; 8:34.
C. By Our Faith - Acts 16:30-34; 13:39; Eph. 2:8; 1 Pet. 1:9.
-Our faith is expressed
1. By works of faith (obedience) - Jas. 2:20-24; Heb. 5:8-9 (Matt. 7:21).
2. By repentance from sins - 2 Cor. 7:10.
3. By a confession of one's faith in Christ - Rom. 10:9-10 (1 Tim. 6:12).
4. By water baptism - 1 Pet. 3:21; Mk. 16:16; Gal. 3:26-27.
5. By calling on the name of the Lord - Rom. 10:13; Acts 2:21; 37-38, 41.
D. In Hope - Rom. 8:24 (cf. 1 Cor. 15:19).
1. Psa. 119:160 - The sum of God's word is truth!
2. Believe all of its teachings & obey all of its commands given through Jesus Christ - Matt. 7:21-23.