Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Galatians 5:1-6
Can a Saved Person Become Lost?
1. The simple, Bible answer is, “yes.”
2. Whole theological constructions come crumbling down when once we accept the truth that Christians can fall away from God’s saving grace, and be forever lost:
a. Calvinism: The sovereignty of God, Election and predestination, and perseverance of the saints.
b. Universalism: The grace and love of God; God is a loving parent to all; none will be lost (universal reconciliation).
3. Some live with the reckless assumption that they will be saved in spite of their sins (since they believe they were saved in the past). Rom. 6:1-2
4. Others wonder what becomes of the Christian’s assurance, if indeed the saved can be lost. How can we be sure we have eternal life?
I. A SAVED PERSON CAN BECOME LOST, 1 Tim. 4:1-3; Jas. 5:19-20.
A. Righteous Can Turn Away from Righteousness and Die, Ezek. 18:24.
B. A Believer Can Fall Away, Lk. 8:13.
C. A Christian Can be Severed from Christ (fallen away from grace), Gal. 5:2-4.
D. An Enlightened Person Can Fall Away and become Unreachable, Heb. 6:4-6.
E. One who Has Escaped Sin’s Defilement Can Again become Entangled and Overcome, 2 Pet. 2:20-22.
II. REJECTING THIS TRUTH LEADS SOME TO THE RECKLESS ASSUMPTION THAT SIN WILL NOT CHANGE THEIR ETERNAL OUTCOME.
A. Warned Against this Way of Thinking, 1 Cor. 10:12; Rom. 11:20-22.
B. Must Endure by Doing the Will of God, Heb. 10:36.
III. HOW CAN WE HAVE “BLESSED ASSURANCE” IF IT IS POSSIBLE FOR US TO FALL AWAY? (Hope: Desire + expectation; Rests upon faith, Heb. 11:1) Rom. 5:1-5
A. Our Assurance is Built on God’s Character (He cannot lie) and God’s Oath, Heb. 6:13-19.
B. The Gospel Tells of Hope Laid Up For Us in Heaven, Col. 1:5.
C. We Can Know that We Have Eternal Life, 1 Jno. 5:11-13.
1. Life is “in His Son,” v. 11.
2. When we “have the Son” to have life, v. 12.
3. “That you may know that you have eternal life,” v. 13:
a. If we walk in the light (practice truth), 1 Jno. 1:6-7.
b. If we keep His commandments, 1 Jno. 2:3-5.
c. If we practice righteousness, 1 Jno. 2:29; 3:7 (4).
d. If we keep His commandments, 1 Jno. 3:24.
D. We have a Living Hope as We Live by Faith, 1 Pet. 1:3-9 (2 Cor. 5:7; Eph. 3:17).
1. Our inheritance is incorruptible, undefiled, does not fade away.
2. There is no hope for a Christians in willful unfaithfulness and deliberate disobedience, Heb. 10:27-31 (“His people,” v. 30).
3. Hope of righteousness that is by faith; Faith working through love is what has power to save, Gal. 5:5-6.
1. Your name can be written into the Book of Life, and it can be removed, Rev. 3:4-6; 22:19.
2. Do not defile yourself with sin; Live by faith, being faithful to do the will of the Lord.
3. “Therefore, let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” (1 Cor. 10:12)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 12, 2017