Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 10:27-31
Self-Esteem and the Christian
1. Prov. 23:7: “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.”
2. Modern psychology defines self-esteem as “the opinion you have of yourself. What value do you think you have as a person?” (More-selfesteem.com).
a. Esteem: 1) archaic: WORTH, VALUE 2) archaic: OPINION, JUDGMENT 3) the regard in which one is held; especially: high regard <the esteem we all feel for her>
b. Self-esteem: “a confidence and satisfaction in oneself”; SELF-RESPECT (Merriam-Webster).
3. One website says “Self Esteem is the Key to your Happiness and Well-being” (More-selfesteem.com).
a. This is all centered upon self, as if self is the source of happiness and well-being (Jer. 10:23).
b. God’s people should have self-respect, but not for the reasons the world offers (Gal. 2:20; Prov. 3:3-8)
4. Christians know God is the giver of all good gifts and that our happiness comes from being saved in Christ – not from the confidence we put in ourselves.
* Self-esteem and Humility, Phil. 2:3-5 (cf. Rom. 12:3, 16)
-Beware of pride, Prov. 16:18; 18:12; Gal. 6:3; 1 Cor. 3:18
-God will raise up those who mourn over their sins & humble themselves before him, Jas. 4:9-10
* Self-esteem and Selfishness, cf. Jas. 4:1-3
-Seek the will of God, not the will of self, Jno. 5:30
-Self-esteem issues tend to make self the center & the source of confidence, contentment & happiness: No place for God! 2 Cor. 12:10
-Self-denial to follow Jesus, Lk. 9:23. Not lowering our value, but surrendering our will to the Lord’s will (Gal. 2:20)
* Self-worth and Self-importance, Matt. 16:26
-Valuable to God, Matt. 10:29-31 (“Do not fear”)
1) Created in the image of God, Gen. 1:26
2) Given glory, honor & rule by God, Psa. 8:3-8
-Forgiven by God, Eph. 4:32.
1) Known & loved by God, Gal. 4:4-9
2) Exalted position with Christ (heavenly places), Eph. 1:3; 2:1-7
* Live by Faith to have Proper Estimation of Self… (Gal. 2:20)
-In the strength of Christ, Phil. 4:13 (Rom. 8:31-34, 37)
-In God’s grace & mercy, 1 Tim. 1:12-16 (1 Cor. 15:10)
-To look at life with an eternal outlook, 2 Cor. 4:16-5:5 (Heb. 11:32-38)
* Loving God and Loving Others, Matt. 22:37-39
-Must love God with all our heart, soul & mind; not in gloom & doubt, but confident faith (22:37).
-One cannot properly love others without a proper view of himself (22:39).
-One cannot properly love his/her spouse without a proper view of himself. Eph. 5:28-33
* THE CHRISTIAN'S CONFIDENCE is a Choice of Faith, Phil. 4:4-7, 13
-Do not allow others to cause you to look down on yourself for being a Christian, Matt. 5:11-14 (1 Cor. 4:11-13); 1 Pet. 4:16
1. The Christian’s confidence is not placed in personal self-esteem, but in Christ:
-“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (2 Tim. 1:7).
-“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Phil. 4:13).
-“For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Cor. 12:10).