Power Point Show MP3 audio NO AUDIO
Scripture Reading: 2 Peter 1:2-4
Standing on the Promises of God
1. 2 Pet. 1:2-4: God has given Christians “exceedingly great and precious promises...”
2. Hymn: Standing on the Promises by Russell Kelso Carter, Methodist minister and physician (1886).
3. All the promises of God in Christ are reliable and trustworthy, 2 Cor. 1:20. God has given us His word – He cannot lie (Heb. 6:18).
4. Are you “standing on the promises” or “sitting on the premises”?!
I. THE PROMISES MADE TO THE FATHERS, Rom. 15:8-13.
A. The Promised Redemption in the Seed of Abraham, Gen. 12:1-3.
1. Turning away sinners from their sin, Acts 3:25-26.
2. Redemption from the curse of the law (sin and death), Gal. 3:10-14, 16.
a. Must be “of faith” / Christ’s / in order to be Abraham’s seed, Gal. 3:5-9, 29 (26-28).
b. Promise made to Abraham and his Seed – Christ, Gal. 3:16-19.
c. Children of the promise are blessed, Rom. 9:6-8.
d. Christians, Gal. 4:28.
B. “That the Gentiles Might Glorify God for His Mercy”, Rom. 15:8-9.
1. “...all the nations of the earth will be blessed” (Gen. 12:3); Acts 10:34-35.
2. Standing on the promise, Rom. 15:13.
a. Filled with joy and peace in faith.
b. Abounding in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit, Col. 1:5; Gal. 5:5.
C. We have Strong Encouragement, Heb. 6:13-20.
1. God promised with an oath to Abraham and “he obtained the promise” – it was confirmed and assured to him.
2. The heirs of the promise (6:17-18): God has shown us that His purpose is unchangeable – interjected an oath that He would keep His promise.
3. God cannot lie + Oath = Strong encouragement!
D. The Promise of Eternal Life, Titus 1:1-3.
1. Promised before time began (Eph. 3:11).
2. God’s promise – His word – is revealed and obtained through preaching the word of God.
a. Jesus is the Word of life, Jno. 1:1, 4; 14:6; 1 Jno. 1:1-2.
b. His gospel is the word of life, Acts 13:47-48; Phil. 2:16.
II. THE PROMISE OF HEAVEN, Jno. 14:1-6.
A. A Habitation Built by God, 2 Cor. 5:1.
B. A Homeland for Strangers and Pilgrims, Heb. 11:13-16.
C. An Inheritance for the Children of God, 1 Pet. 1:4-5; Rom. 8:17.
D. A Rest for Souls who Struggled and Prevailed, Rev. 14:13.
E. A Crown for the Victorious, 2 Tim. 4:6-8 (Rev. 2:10).
-Not a crown of ambition, but a crown that is conferred as the reward of holy living, 1 Cor. 9:24-27.)
1. All of God’s promises in Christ are reliable and trustworthy, giving us the full assurance of hope, 2 Cor. 1:20.
a. We must be “in Christ” to have these blessed promises, Gal. 3:26-29.
b. Be baptized into Christ to put on Christ and become an heir of His “exceedingly great and precious promises”.
2. Are you standing on the promises of God?
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: January 18, 2013