Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Leviticus 10:1-3
"Strange" Things are Unauthorized and Sinful
1. Bible speaks of “strange” things in Lev. 10:1-2; Prov. 2:16-17 and Heb. 13:9. Each describes something unauthorized by God and hence, is “strange” before Him. (Warned against “strange Gods”, Josh. 24:20.)
a. Strange (Heb. zûr, zoor): “A primitive root; to turn aside (especially for lodging); hence to be a foreigner, strange, profane.” (Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary)
b. Strange (Gr. xenos): “foreign (literally alien)”. (Strong’s Greek Dictionary)
2. Hosea 8:12: When the authority of God’s word is not respected and obeyed, God’s word becomes a “strange” thing to His people!
I. STRANGE FIRE: WHAT THE LORD DID NOT COMMAND, Lev. 10:1-2.
A. Presumptuous Sin, Psa. 19:13. (It speaks when God is silent.)
1. Presumes to speak (act) in God’s name without command, Deut. 18:20.
2. Despises authority, self-willed and disrespectful where honor is due, 2 Pet. 2:10.
B. Example of “Strange Fire” in Churches of Christ Today:
1. Institutionalism in churches of Christ has not been commanded.
a. Local church is sufficient to do its own work, Acts 14:23 (Phil. 1:1)
b. NT pattern for work of benevolence of local church: No other organization arranged, funded and/or overseen by local church (either sponsoring church or separate organization). Yet: Orphanages, old folk’s homes, etc. overseen/funded by churches!
c. NT pattern for work of evangelism of local church: No other organization arranged, funded and/or overseen by local church (either sponsoring church or separate organization). Yet: Preaching schools, Bible colleges, etc. overseen/funded by many churches of Christ!
2. Hold fast the pattern, 2 Tim. 1:13. (Issue is WHAT organization)
3. There is no authority…Strange to God…Sin against God!
II. STRANGE WOMAN: THE SIN OF ADULTERY, Prov. 2:16-17.
A. Foreign, Immoral and Against God’s Authorized Marriage Covenant.
1. Bitterness, pain and death, Prov. 5:1-6.
2. Sinful pleasure that robs you of the pleasures God has authorized for you in marriage, Prov. 5:20 (15-19).
B. God’s Commandment is intended to Protect Us from the Strange Woman, Prov. 6:23-29.
1. God authorizes purity of mind and body, 1 Thess. 4:3-7.
2. God’s judgment is upon those who will not repent, Heb. 13:4.
3. Strange woman: Divorce and remarriage for any cause (Matt. 5:32; 19:9; 1 Cor. 7:9, 20).
III. STRANGE DOCTRINES: FOREIGN TO APOSTLES’ DOCTRINE, Heb. 13:9.
A. Sound Doctrine is New Testament Teaching, but…
1. Strange doctrine is not revealed by apostles of Christ; it is taught by the wisdom and will of men, Acts 2:42; 1 Cor. 2:2-5.
2. Following strange doctrine is turning away from Christ, 2 Jno. 9.
3. Following strange doctrine rejects God’s grace, Gal. 1:6-9.
4. Following strange doctrine does not edify, 1 Tim. 1:3-4.
5. Following strange doctrine is not godliness, 1 Tim. 6:3.
B. Following Strange Doctrine is Sin, Heb. 13:9 (Eph. 4:14).
1. It is sin to offer God what He has not commanded (“strange fire”).
a. Institutions, sponsoring churches, etc. of liberalism are sinful.
b. Doctrines of adultery (accepting unscriptural remarriages) are sinful. (Matt. 19:9).
2. Some say institutionalism is not sinful (just different opinions). But, why would the “strange woman” of adultery be sinful while the “strange fire” of liberal institutionalism is acceptable?!
a. This is “strange” doctrine! (Matt. 15:7-9)
b. Do not be deceived by wisdom and doctrines of men! (Eph. 5:6)
1. God’s word becomes a “strange thing” when we “refuse knowledge” (Hos. 8:12; 4:6).
2. We must offer God what pleases Him, not what pleases us!
3. We must reject everything that is unauthorized because it is “strange” to God!