Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 2:1-7
Be Strong in the Grace that is in Christ
1. 2 Timothy is
Paul's emotional farewell to a man he dearly loved (as a son),
2. In early part of epistle, he urges Timothy to be strengthened:
a. To preach truth and suffer for it, 1:7-8.
b. To guard (keep) the faith entrusted to him, 1:14 (1 Tim. 6:20).
c. In grace, 2:1 (4:22).
3. We need strength to live in the grace of Christ; to be true to the faith we profess. [cf. "Grow in grace...", 2 Pet. 3:18]
STRENGTHENED IN GRACE BY TEACHING THE GOSPEL TO OTHERS,
A. The Things You have Heard.
1. From me, 1:13; 1 Tim. 6:3; cf. 2 Tim. 4:2. 2 Ths. 2:15
2. Among many witnesses: Assurance of validity of gospel.
3. Must be sure we are passing along valid teaching (2:15).
B. Commit To Faithful Men.
1. Commit: "To put near, to entrust, to place with someone"; Deposit for safe keeping.
2. Faithful men: Trustworthy, reliable, cf. 1 Tim. 1:12.
C. Equip them to be Able to Teach Others.
1. Here is where grace is strengthened: When we persevere in doing the task we are given.
2. Three illustrations help strengthen us in God's grace, 2:3-6 (2 Pet. 3:18). "Traits of the faithful man"...
TO BE STRENGTHENED IN THE GRACE OF CHRIST,
A. Serve as a Soldier, 2:3-4.
1. Suffer (endure) hardship (1:8; 4:5).
a. Opportunity for our faith in the Lord to grow.
to endure hardships,
2. No entanglement with the world, 2 Cor. 6:14-18.
a. Priorities: Kingdom and righteousness, Matt. 6:33.
b. All else less important, Lk. 14:15-24.
3. Active duty (armed and ready), Eph. 6:10-13.
Wanted none preoccupied, too busy or afraid (Harm to self and other soldiers.).
B. Compete as an Athlete, 2:5.
1. Commitment to the crown, 4:7-8; 1 Cor. 9:24-25.
a. Intensity, tenacity, etc.
b. In our case, heaven, 1 Pet. 1:3-4.
2. Discipline, 1 Cor. 9:25-27 (self-control).
a. Put away faults, hindrances, bad habits, etc.
b. Practice, practice, practice, 2 Tim. 2:15; 1 Tim. 4:7-8; Heb. 5:14.
3. Obey the rules, 2:5.
a. Commitment and discipline without obeying rules disqualifies.
b. Must obey God first and always, Matt. 7:21; Heb. 5:9.
C. Work like a Farmer, 2:6.
1. Hard work.
a. Being first to partake is reward of labor....And a reminder that without hard work, he will be the first to go hungry.
b. Reap what we sow, and in proportion to the amount we sow, Gal. 6:7-8; 2 Cor. 9:6.
2. Patience, Gal. 6:9; Jas. 5:7-11. ("Wait on the Lord")
a. Must work now, wait for harvest.
b. Live in faith, hope and trust - God promises reward, Heb. 6:9-12.
c. cf. Teaching, 2 Tim. 2:2; 4:2 - Takes time.
d. One sows...waters... reaps; Rewarded for one's own labor, 1 Cor. 3:6-9.
1. We each need to be strengthened in the grace of Christ.
2. Consider these things and gain understanding, 2 Tim. 2:7.
3. Serve - Compete - Work; You will be strengthened in the grace of Christ and rewarded through it.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 3, 2015