Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 11:8-12
Abraham's Surrendering Faith
1. Surrender: “to yield to the power, control, or possession of another upon compulsion or demand; to give up completely or agree to forgo especially in favor of another; to give (oneself) over to something (as an influence)” (M-W Dictionary).
2. Discipleship to Jesus demands surrender/sacrifice, Lk. 9:23; 14:33; Gal. 2:20. [“All to Jesus I Surrender” (#332)]
3. Abraham is the “friend of God” and father of the faithful due to a faith marked by the complete surrender of himself to God’s will.
4. Christians are Abraham’s seed (Gal. 3:29). We must “do the works of Abraham” and walk in the steps of his faith, Jno. 8:39; Rom. 4:11-12.
5. What did Abraham surrender? Will we do the works of Abraham?
I. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED HIS COUNTRY, Acts 7:2-4.
-Its familiarity, its security and its comfort.
A. America is Great, but Our Heavenly Home is Greater, Phil. 3:20.
1. Our first allegiance is to God, Acts 5:29.
2. At conversion we pledged allegiance to heaven (God).
B. Christians are Pilgrims (like Abraham), Heb. 11:13-16.
1. Do not “drive down stakes” here on earth.
2. Here We Are but Straying Pilgrims (#213); This World is Not My Home (#230); Anywhere is Home (#680).
II. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED HIS KINSHIP, Acts 7:3.
A. Sometimes Your Greatest Enemy is in Your Own Family, Matt. 10:36.
1. Abraham’s family served other gods, Josh. 24:2.
2. Marry someone who shares your faith in Christ; it will affect your faithfulness and eternity (cf. Christian father), 1 Cor. 7:33.
3. All to Jesus, I Surrender? (1 Cor. 7:23)
III. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED HIS JUDGMENT, Heb. 11:8.
A. Trust in God’s Way and Word. (Anywhere with Jesus, #390)
-Abraham went because God said to “go”.
B. We Must Act on God’s Judgment (His word) Instead of Depending on Our Judgment, Psa. 19:9.
“Whatever God says to do in the Bible, I must do. If He says to jump through a stone wall, I’m going to jump at it. Going through it belongs to God, jumping at it belongs to me.” 2 Kgs. 5:13
1. God says: Be baptized; love your enemy; return good for evil…
2. God says: Assemble to worship, Heb. 10:25. We let recreation and personal comfort set our habit of assembling, then our judgment justifies our habit.
3. Surrender your wisdom/judgment to the will of God, 1 Cor. 1:21.
-Your salvation depends upon it.
IV. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED WHAT WAS MOST PRECIOUS TO HIM IN ORDER TO OBEY GOD, Heb. 11:17-19.
A. He Obeyed by Faith (surrendered), Gen. 22:2; Jas. 2:21-22.
B. He Surrendered to God Immediately, Gen. 22:3.
1. Rose early (urgency and priority); Did not argue with God (content that God knew what He was doing and would do it right).
2. What about you? Acts 24:25; 22:16 (Heb. 3:7-8, 13)
C. He was Even Able to Surrender His Son because He Fully Trusted God’s Promises.
1. He believed in hope of God’s promise of Isaac’s birth, Rom. 4:18-22.
2. He believed God would keep His promises, Heb. 11:17-19.
3. We must set our eyes on God’s promise of eternal life when we are called to surrender for the sake of Christ, Heb. 6:11-15.
1. A surrendering faith surrenders everything to God.
2. Are you surrendering all to Jesus, or only until it hurts? Phil. 3:7-8
3. Surrender all to Jesus. Only then will you have the faith to set Him apart as Lord in your heart and in your life, 1 Pet. 3:15.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 29, 2018