Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 49:16-20
You Can't Take it With You
1. Which inheritance concerns you the most: Physical or spiritual?
2. What are you planning to take with you beyond the grave?
a. Some try to control their children, their estate, their business, etc. from beyond the grave (cf. Eccl. 2:18-19).
b. Must be planning for your spiritual inheritance. Luke 12:13-21
I. WE CANNOT TAKE ANY EARTHLY THINGS WITH US BEYOND THE GRAVE, Lk. 12:20.
A. We Brought Nothing with us into Life, Eccl. 5:15; 1 Tim. 6:7.
1. This should promote proper priorities, Eccl. 5:12-14 (Matt. 6:33).
2. This should promote contentment, 1 Tim. 6:8 (Phil. 4:11-13, 19).
B. We will not take anything Material with us, Psa. 49:16-17 (Lk. 16:19, 22).
1. Money cannot redeem our soul, Psa. 49:5-9.
2. Only the blood of Jesus; believe & obey him! 1 Pet. 1:18-19
C. We will not take the Praise & Honor of Men with us, Psa. 49:18-20 (Jno. 12:43).
D. We will not take Power with us, cf. Prov. 27:24.
II. WHAT WE WILL TAKE WITH US BEYOND THE GRAVE.
A. Our Identity, Lk. 16:22-23-24.
1. Our character, Dan. 12:2-3 (cf. Matt. 25:34-40).
2. Our consciousness, Matt. 25:21; Lk. 16:23-31.
B. The Results of Our Conduct while on Earth, 1 Tim. 5:24-25.
1. Our works: Rev. 14:13 (1 Cor. 15:58).
a. Good, Rev. 14:13; 1 Tim. 6:17-19 (Matt. 6:20).
b. Sin, 1 Tim. 5:24-25.
2. Our words, Matt. 12:34-37.
III. OUR PRESENT AFFECTS OUR ETERNAL FUTURE, Rom. 14:12.
A. Hope beyond Death is Unique to Mankind, cf. Eccl. 9:5-6; 12:13-14.
1. True hope is only in Jesus Christ, 1 Cor. 15:19; Jno. 11:25-26; 1 Pet. 1:3-4.
2. Our soul rests in hope, as did Davidís & Christís, Psa. 16:9-11.
-Hope of resurrection unto eternal life (Hope in God, Acts 24:15).
B. We Will Leave a Legacy when we Die, Heb. 11:4.
1. Our reputation (name; Prov. 22:1), cf. Mk. 14:9; Jas. 5:10-11.
2. Our influence, cf. Acts 9:36, 39.
3. Our children, Psa. 71:17-18 (78:5-7).
4. A legacy of faithfulness, service, duty & confident hope, 2 Tim. 4:6-8.
1. What a wonderfully comforting truth that God is mindful of us and has prepared a place for us to live forever, Psa. 8:4-5; Jno. 14:1-3.
2. You have a choice: to lay up treasure for yourself; or to be rich toward God (Lk. 12:20-21).
3. Be wise about life & death; obey Jesus now.