Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Proverbs 23:6-9
As a Man Thinks in His Heart, So is He
1. Prov. 23:6-8: The miserly, distrusting person promises much but deceptively conceals his true intentions: the envy and selfishness of egoism seeks to have and retain all for itself.
a. He is what he thinks...not what he appears to be at first.
b. The intentions of the heart can only be concealed for so long.
2. We are what we think; in time the heart is revealed by our words and deeds, 1 Tim. 5:24-25.
3. The heart can deceive and lead us into sinful ways, Jer. 17:9-10.
4. What you are thinking becomes who you are: Are you a child of God or a child of the devil? Jno. 8:42-44; 1 Jno. 3:6-9
I. AS A MAN THINKS: WE DECIDE WHAT KIND OF PERSON WE WILL BE. Prov. 23:6
A. You Are What You Think, Psa. 19:14; Prov. 3:1-5.
1. God created us upright, without sin, Eccl. 7:29; Matt. 18:3-4.
2. We became sinners as we were drawn away by desires (lusts) of the heart, Jas. 1:14-15 (Rom. 7:9-10).
B. What are you:
1. Reading? Col. 3:16; 1 Tim. 4:13, 15
2. Watching? cf. Jno. 4:35 (Matt. 9:36); Matt. 5:28-29
a. Internet pornography is epidemic: Like drinking sewage!
b. Many movies, TV, etc. are predicated on sin and/or advance immoral thinking, conduct and treatment of others -- That's not entertainment!
3. Meditating upon? Phil. 4:8-9
a. It is no mystery that we live what we think.
b. Question is: What kind of person will you decide to be?
II. IN HIS HEART: OUR HEART IS THE FOUNTAINHEAD OF OUR CONSCIOUSNESS, CHARACTER AND CONDUCT.
A. You are Defined by what is Inside You (in your heart).
1. Good man -- evil man, Lk. 6:43-45.
2. Defilement comes from within (the heart), Mk. 7:14-16, 20-23.
a. Sin comes from fulfilling the desires of the mind, Eph. 2:3.
b. The vain, darkened, alienated, ignorant, blindness of the heart produces a sinful living, Eph. 4:17-19.
B. Conversion: Change Your Heart, Eph. 4:20-24; Rom. 12:1-2.
1. Renewed in the spirit of your mind, Eph. 4:23.
2. Produces changed living, cf. 2 Cor. 7:10-11.
III. SO IS HE: YOUR LIFE IS DEFINED BY WHAT IS IN YOUR HEART.
1. Think about yourself...become a selfish person, 2 Tim. 3:1-2.
-Think about others...become a caring, giving person, Rom. 12:10-13; Eph. 4:32.
2. Think about money...become a greedy person, 1 Tim. 6:9-10.
-Think about thankfulness to God...become a contented person, 1 Tim. 6:6-8.
3. Think about immoral sex...become a lustful person, Matt. 5:28.
-Think about moral purity...become pure in heart, 1 Cor. 6:18 (Matt. 5:8).
4. Think about deception...become a liar, Col. 3:9-10.
-Think about truthfulness...become an honest person, Eph. 4:25.
5. Think about being praised by men for religious life...become a hypocrite, Matt. 6:5; 23:12.
-Think about the praise of God...become a humble, genuine servant of God, 1 Pet. 2:1-3.
1. What kind of person are you? What does the Lord see when He sees you? Acts 1:24; Heb. 4:13
2. That is your choice - your decision - that you make every day.
3. Will you decide to become a Christian, saved from past sins with the hope of glory? Will you decide, Christian friend, to repent (change your heart) and pray for God's forgiveness of sin?