Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 13:12-17
Jesus: Trailblazer of Our Salvation
1. We admire and honor explorers and trailblazers.
2. Every spiritual principle God enjoins on us, Jesus did first.
a. Jesus is the Captain (trailblazer) of our salvation, Heb. 2:10.
b. "one who has a preeminent position, leader, ruler, prince...one who begins or originates" (BDAG). Heb. 12:2: Originator and Perfecter
3. We must follow in His steps, Matt. 9:9; 16:24; Jno. 12:26; 1 Pet. 2:21; 1 Jno. 2:5-6.
I. JESUS BLAZED THE TRAIL OF OBEDIENCE, Jno. 15:10; 6:38; 8:29, 55; 14:31.
A. He Yielded to Authority, Jno. 14:28; 12:49.
1. We must, too, Col. 3:17.
2. He humbled Himself, being obedient to death, Phil. 2:8.
-Importance of authority being properly established and applied today, Matt. 21:25. (“Preach Jesus, not authority, patterns, church”)
B. He Served the Will of God, Heb. 10:7 (Jno. 4:34).
- We must serve Christ's will, Heb. 5:8-9.
II. JESUS BLAZED THE TRAIL OF SACRIFICE, Jno. 10:17-18 (Matt. 20:28).
A. Self-Denial is the Essence of Sacrifice, Matt. 16:24; Tit. 2:11-12.
B. Carrying Your Cross Requires Sacrifice, Matt. 16:24.
C. The Value of the Kingdom Compels Sacrifice, Matt. 13:44-46.
III. JESUS BLAZED THE TRAIL OF LOVE, Eph. 5:1-2; 1 Jno. 4:19-21. "Love of Christ compels us" (2 Cor. 5:14)
A. Our Love Shows We Belong to Him, Jno. 13:34-35 (14:15).
B. Loving Others is a Deliberate Choice, 1 Jno. 4:12, 16, 19-21.
1. Love is a command; a choice, a deliberate action toward another.
2. By ingraining our choice it becomes who we are (1 Jno. 3:18).
3. Must love:
a. Brethren (1 Jno. 4:21; Jno. 13:34).
b. Family (Eph. 5:25; Tit. 2:4).
c. Neighbors (Matt. 22:39).
d. Enemies (Lk. 6:27).
IV. JESUS BLAZED THE TRAIL OF FORGIVENESS, Lk. 23:34; Col. 3:12-13.
A. Immediately and Totally, 1 Jno. 1:9; 2 Cor. 2:5-11.
B. Always, Lk. 17:1-4.
C. From the Heart, Matt. 18:32-35 (mercy, etc.)
V. JESUS BLAZED THE TRAIL OF RESISTING TEMPTATION, Heb. 4:15; Lk. 4:13.
A. Temptation to Sin will always be with Us, 1 Pet. 5:8. It is our lifelong stalker.
1. No amount of isolation will isolate you from it.
2. Since you: Have a mind, you will be tempted through it; have a body, you will be tempted through it; as a social creature, you will be tempted through interaction with others, as a sexual being, you will have lusts of the flesh to fight; Ad infinitum!
B. Do not Yield to Temptation, Jas. 4:7
-"For yielding is sin", Jas. 1:14-15.
C. Put Your Faith in the Faithfulness of God, 1 Cor. 10:13.
1. Look for God and not the devil.
2. Hold up against temptation; Escape and Endure.
1. Jesus calls us to follow His examples; do as He has done, Jno. 13:12-17.
2. Blessed when we follow the trail the Master has trod.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 13, 2015