1. Vain: Empty, fruitless, nothing of lasting value (detrimental).
2. Scriptures warn us of a number of vain things (1 Cor. 10:12).
I. MAKING THIS WORLD & ITS ACTIVITIES THE GOAL OF YOUR LIFE Eccl. 1:2.
· Life cycles & is unfulfilling 1:3-11.
· Neither pleasure, wealth, materialism, wisdom, death, labor, social standing, etc. give lasting satisfaction Eccl. 1:14.
· Fear & obey God Purpose & fulfillment to life Eccl. 12:13-14.
II. VAIN WORSHIP Matt. 15:7-9.
· By following the doctrines of men Col. 2:18-23 (Matt. 7:21-23).
· By hearts that are far from God - Mal. 1:10-11 (respect & honor God)
· Combine pure heart & authorized action - Jno. 4:23-24.
III. VAIN LABOR 1 Cor. 15:58.
· Works of faith are not vain in the Lord - Eph. 2:10; 1 Ths. 1:3.
· By holding forth the word of life Phil. 2:16.
IV. VAIN PREACHING 1 Ths. 2:1-2.
· The fear & regret of vain labor is real Gal. 4:11.
· When brethren turn back to sin & error, souls are lost & those who taught them suffer loss 1 Ths. 3:5 (1 Cor. 3:14-15).
V. VAIN REPETITIONS IN PRAYER Matt. 6:7.
· Prayer is not heard based on its wordiness, impressiveness, etc.
· Approaching God w/ pride will cause our fall Lk. 18:9, 13-14.
· Sincere prayer with simple faith is heard! Matt. 6:9-13.
VI. FIGHTING AGAINST THE PURPOSES OF GOD Acts 4:24-28.
-With immoral living, unauthorized church work, worship, false doctrine
· Because God is wiser than us Isa. 40:13-14.
· Because God is superior to us, we must seek Him! - Isa. 55:6-11.
· Do not fight against God! Acts 5:39
VII. THE DEATH OF CHRIST IS VAIN IF THE OT SAVES Gal. 2:21.
· Law cannot save, only expose sin Rom. 3:20; cf. Gal. 3:21.
· Christians suffered in vain (for gospel) if OT saves! Gal. 3:1-4 (2:2)
VIII. IF YOU REVERT TO SIN, GODS GRACE & YOUR FAITH ARE VAIN - 2 Cor. 6:1.
· Be reconciled with God & receive Gods grace 2 Cor. 5:10.
· Hold fast the gospel (faith), standing in it (saved by it) 1 Cor. 15:1-2.
· If we faithfully labor, Gods grace is not received in vain - 1 Cor. 15:10.
1. 1 Ths. 2:1 Gospel preaching is not in vain when we take it into our hearts and live it in our lives.
2. Your faith is not vain in the Lord 1 Cor. 15:58.