Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 10:26-31
The Christian and Willful Sin
1. The danger of falling away from God is real, Gal. 5:4; Heb. 3:12-13.
2. Vigilant faith necessary to keep from falling, 1 Cor. 9:24-27; 10:12-13.
3. Christians are warned against the reality and nature of willful sin, Heb. 10:26-31.
I. THE DANGERS OF WILLFUL SIN, Heb. 10:26-31.
A. It is Stubborn Presumptuousness, cf. Num. 15:30-31.
1. Voluntarily, with consciousness of our sin (contrast, 1 Tim. 1:13).
2. Deliberate choice to sin, with willful intent, knowing the will of God on the matter. Choice to do what God forbids or not to what God commands, 1 Jno. 3:4; Jas. 4:17.
3. It is obstinate and arrogant, cf. Lk. 12:42-48.
B. It is Direct Rebellion against the Truth We Know, Heb. 10:26.
1. We have escaped the world's filth through knowledge, 2 Pet. 2:20.
2. We are to grow in grace and knowledge to prevent falling, 2 Pet. 3:17-18.
3. Willful sin shows ingratitude for God's blessings, Heb. 6:4, 6.
C. It Shows Contempt for God, Heb. 10:29-31.
1. For the sacrifice of the Son, 10:29; 26. Heb. 9:11-14; 10:11-14.
2. For the grace of the Spirit, 10:29; 6:4; cf. Rom. 6:1-2.
3. For the judgment of the Father, 10:30-31 (12:29).
II. THE NATURE OF WILLFUL SIN.
A. Willful Sin is Born of Pride and Over-Confidence in Self, 1 Cor. 10:12 (3:18); Gal. 6:3.
-Remedy: Be sober and humble, Rom. 12:3, 16.
B. The Tendency to Categorize Sin Contributes to Willful Sin.
1. Willful sin may also produce hypocrisy (pretense) by condemning certain sins while ignoring the harm of others, cf. Matt. 7:3-5; Rom. 2:21-24.
2. The "big" sins (adultery, stealing, murder, etc.) are glaring.
3. The "little" sins (small lies, not worshiping God, holding a grudge/being unforgiving, gossip, showing partiality), Jas. 2:9-13.
4. Willful sin easily yields to self-righteousness, Lk. 18:9-12.
C. When We Choose to Ignore Sin in Our Lives We become Willful Sinners.
1. Note: Willful sin comes "after" we have received the knowledge of the truth, Heb. 10:26; "Illuminated", 10:32.
2. Received the word with joy, believe for a while...fall away, Lk. 8:13.
3. It is not that the willful sinner never believed; but that he/she chooses to violate God's word in which he/she once believed.
III. OUR DEFENSE AGAINST WILLFUL SIN, Heb. 10:32-39.
A. Recall the Former Days of Faithfulness, 10:32-34.
1. You were running well, Gal. 5:7.
2. Get back in the race! 1 Cor. 9:24; Phil. 3:12-14
B. Remember the Confidence of Your Salvation, 10:34-35.
1. Remember your conversion.
2. Remember heaven's citizenship and heaven's reward, Phil. 3:20.
C. Faith that Endures to the End, 10:36-39.
1. Enduring faith trusts God is faithful to save us.
2. Hold the beginning of your confidence firm to the end, Heb. 3:14.
1. If you are sinning willfully at least two people know it: you and God.
2. God will forgive you when you repent; but you must act now.
3. Jesus is the only remedy for your sins.
a. He sacrificed himself for you.
b. Now, sacrifice yourself for him.
4. Do not refuse Him who speaks, "for our God is a consuming fire” (Heb. 12:25, 29).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: February 17, 2016