Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Proverbs 8:1-7
Wisdom Cries Out
1. Job observed that God is the source of wisdom, Job 28:20-27.
2. Key word of Proverbs is wisdom, "the ability to live life skillfully".
a. The prudent, skillful way of applying knowledge, Prov. 1:1-4.
b. Living a godly life in an ungodly world requires wisdom, Jas. 3:13.
3. Wisdom is very practical, needed to properly relate to God, parents, children, spouses, neighbors, government...not to mention brethren, oneself...and also temptation and sin... Example: Prov. 29:11. (Gal. 2:20)
4. Proverbs 8 personifies wisdom and her appeal to humanity. We are wise to hear and heed her call; fools despise wisdom. Prov. 1:7
I. WISDOM CRIES OUT FOR OUR ATTENTION, 8:1-6 (1:20-22).
-Like a merchant hawking her wares, wisdom is where she is most likely to find an audience (8:2-3). Wisdom is attainable by the common people, cf. 1 Cor. 1:26-29.
A. The Naive and Foolish Must Want to Hear Wise Counsel.
1. Wisdom is attainable, Prov. 1:5; 8:17.
2. The desire for wisdom is a heart matter, Prov. 1:28-33; 2:10-11.
B. Wisdom brings Understanding and Strength, 8:12, 14-16.
1. Why we must put our faith in Jesus, Col. 2:3.
2. Wisdom knows the best course is always the way Jesus teaches.
II. WISDOM'S MARKERS: TRUTH AND RIGHTEOUSNESS, 8:7-8.
A. Fear the Lord and Hate Evil, 8:13 (1:7; 9:10); Job 28:28.
1. Wisdom obeys God's commands, Psa. 111:10. (truth)
2. Warning to all who do not choose to fear God, Prov. 1:22, 29.
B. Wisdom Uses Discretion (care) toward God and Men, 8:12.
1. Wisdom puts knowledge into prudent action, cf. Prov. 3:21-26.
2. Christ's counsel to apostles, Matt. 10:16.
3. Not enough to know what is right; We must skillfully do what is right to advance godliness instead of causing more problems, Jas. 3:13-18. Heavenly wisdom bears peaceable fruit; worldly wisdom yields turmoil.
III. WISDOM IS PLAIN AND RIGHT, 8:9.
A. Understanding the Lord's Will develops Wisdom, Eph. 5:17; 1:7-9. Wisdom to convert, to obey, to mature...
-Requires faith in His word to choose to apply it - this is wisdom, Col. 1:9-10.
B. Wisdom brings Bold Confidence in God's Truth, 2 Cor. 3:12.
1. of 4483; all out-spokenness, i.e. frankness, bluntness, publicity; by impl. assurance:óbold (◊ -ly, -ness, -ness of speech), confidence, ◊ freely, ◊ openly, ◊ plainly (-ness).
2. Wisdom does not masquerade itself; it is open and courageous to do what is right in God's sight, cf. 2 Tim. 4:2; Acts 4:20.
IV. WE MUST VALUE WISDOM TO BECOME WISE, 8:10-11 (18-21).
-Job observed that men cut deeps shafts into the earth to find precious minerals (Job 28:1-11), then notes the priceless value of wisdom, Job 28:1-11, 12-13. (Note: Job 28:28) Prov. 3:13-15
A. Devalue Our Wisdom and Magnify God's Wisdom, 1 Cor. 3:18-21.
B. Why We Must Value Wisdom from Above, Prov. 8:22-35.
1. Wisdom was God's companion before creation, Prov. 8:22-26 (cf. the church Eph. 3:8-11).
2. Wisdom was God's master craftsman during creation, Prov. 8:27-31; 3:19-20.
3. Wisdom can be our companion and bring blessings, Prov. 8:32-35.
a. Accept its teaching and follow its ways, 8:32-33. Matt. 7:24-25
b. Obtain God's favor, 8:34-35; 3:13-18.
V. THE FOOL REJECTS WISDOM, 8:36.
A. To Reject God's Wisdom is Sin against God and Oneself, Rom. 1:21-22. A moral offense against God that destroys oneself.
B. To Hate God's Wisdom is to Love Death. Prov. 1:32-33; Matt. 7:26-27.
-Complacency and self-satisfaction leads to eternal destruction!
1. The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple, Psa. 19:7.
2. The gospel is the "wisdom of God", 1 Cor. 1:18-25.
3. Will you be wise or foolish? Learn and apply God's word - be wise - and have God's favor now and eternally.
 Strong, J. (2009). A Concise Dictionary of the Words in the Greek Testament and The Hebrew Bible (Vol. 1, p. 56). Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: June 23, 2015