WHO IS WORTHY?
1. Lk. 5:5-8 - Peter sensed his own sin & unworthiness in the presence of Jesus Christ. (cf. Phil. 2:9-11)
2. Some are of the mistaken notion they are not & never will be worthy before Christ to obey His gospel & live for Him.
3. How should we view our worthiness before God?
I. "I AM NOT WORTHY."
-[HIKANOS - "sufficient in ability, i.e., meet, fit (enough)"]
A. An Expression & Recognition Of One's Insufficiency Before God.
a. John the Baptizer - Matt. 3:11. He recognized his inferiority & the Messiah's superiority -- Humbled himself! - cf. Jno. 3:30
b. Centurion - Matt. 8:8; Lk. 10:6-7. He regarded himself unfit for Jesus to enter his house or to even go to Jesus with his petition! Extraordinary humility!
2. Recognition of our sin before the holy God & that we are insufficient to save ourselves (we are all under sin) - Rom. 3:9.
3. Expression of humble submission because of the Lord's superiority - Jas. 4:10.
II. CHRIST IS WORTHY - Rev. 5:9
A. Of All Praise, Honor & Power - Rev. 5:11-14 (12).
B. To Save Us - Rev. 5:1-10.
C. To Rule Us - Heb. 1:1-4, 8-9; Therefore -- Col. 3:17.
III. ARE YOU WORTHY?
-[AXIOS - "of one who has merited anything, worthy;" "congruous, corresponding to a thing"]
A. We Are Worthy Of God's Acceptance & Approval Only Because Of Our Redemption In Christ.
1. Not because of our own sinlessness - 2 Tim. 1:9; Eph. 2:8; Tit. 3:5; Rom. 4:2-4. What we deserve is death (Rom. 6:23).
2. Because of God's grace in Christ & our faith in Him - Rom. 6:23; (Eph. 2:8; 2 Tim. 1:9; Tit. 3:5); cf. 1 Tim. 1:12-16.
3. In Christ, God has "qualified us to be partakers" of glory! - Col. 1:12
B. In Christ We Are Worthy Of Reward - Rev. 3:4 (cf. Matt. 10:11, 13).
1. If we live faithfully to Christ.
a. Trustworthy before Him - 1 Tim. 1:12 - "He counted me faithful."
b. World is not worthy of (fit for) faithful ones! - Heb. 11:38-40
2. If we must walk worthy of the gospel - Eph. 4:1; 1 Ths. 2:12; Col. 1:10.
a. Love Christ first - Matt. 10:37-38.
b. Be morally & doctrinally pure - Rev. 3:4.
3. If we labor in His service - cf. Matt. 10:10; 1 Tim. 5:17; Heb. 6:10- 12.
4. If we sacrifice/suffer for Christ - Acts 5:41; 2 Ths. 1:5.
C. Outside Of Christ (In Sin) We Are Worthy Of Punishment - Rev. 16:6.
1. If we reject the gospel invitation - Matt. 22:8.
2. If we do not obey the gospel - 2 Ths. 1:8 (5).
3. If we deliberately sin - Heb. 10:26-29.
1. None of us are sufficient in ourselves to save ourselves. In this sense, we are completely unworthy before God.
2. Christ Jesus is completely worthy of honor, praise & power. This is why we submit completely to Him.
3. In Christ, by grace through faith, we are saved & made worthy of eternal reward. This is true if we live faithful lives of sacrifice & service to Him.
4. Are you worthy?! In Christ, you can be & will be! (Gal. 3:26-27)