YIELD NOT TO TEMPTATION
1. 1 Cor. 10:13 Our struggle with temptation is universal, real & constant.
2. Jas. 1:12 Blessed when we endure/overcome temptation.
3. The Lord helps us conquer temptations Heb. 4:15-16.
I. REMEMBER THE WORD OF GOD Psa. 119:11.
A. As Armor Eph. 6:10-17.
B. As the Source of Knowledge & Truth against Temptation Matt. 4:4-11; Psa. 119:11.
-By remembering Gods word we keep from setting our mind on sinful desires Jas. 1:14-15.
II. STAY AWAY FROM THE TEMPTATION.
A. Flee It 1 Tim. 6:11; 2 Tim. 2:22.
1. Joseph Gen. 39:12.
2. Part of watching Matt. 26:41. (the flesh is weak!)
3. cf. Warning Prov. 5:8 (7:25).
B. Do Not Put Yourself into Tempting Situations Matt. 6:13; 1 Cor. 7:5.
III. PRAY Matt. 6:13.
A. For Strength to Overcome the Trials Matt. 26:41.
B. Persevere in Prayer Eph. 6:18 (cf. Jesus in Gethsemane).
IV. MAKE AN HONEST SELF-EXAMINATION 2 Cor. 13:5.
A. Consider Yourself Gal. 6:1, 4.
1. Attitudes toward & compromise with sin: Am I creating tempting situations?
2. Reactions toward temptations when they come Jas. 1:13 (1 Cor. 6:13).
B. Remain Humble & Know Your Own Vulnerability To Temptation & Sin Gal. 6:3.
V. UNDERSTAND HOW THE TEMPTER WORKS 2 Cor. 2:11.
A. How Satan Appeals to Us 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
B. He Strikes At Our Weak Points Matt. 4:3-4, 5-7; 8-10.
VI. CHOOSE YOUR COMPANIONS WISELY.
A. Association with Friends Affect Us 1 Cor. 15:33-34.
1. Friends have great influence on us cf. Eccl. 4:9-12.
2. Seek friends who help us live godly lives Prov. 17:17.
VII. REMEMBER THE CONSEQUENCES OF SIN.
A. Sin Is Against God Psa. 51:4 (Gen. 39:9).
B. Sins Pleasure is Temporary its Result is Eternal Jas. 1:15-16 (Rom. 6:23); Rev. 21:8.
C. Sin Hardens the Heart to Further Sin Heb. 3:13.
1. The danger of sin eventually fails to impact us - Rev. 22:11.
2. A desire for God decreases as a life in sin continues - Eccl. 12:1.
VIII. LOOK FOR THE WAY OUT.
A. With Each Temptation Comes a Way of Escape 1 Cor. 10:13.
1. Prevention through discipline 1 Cor. 9:24-27.
2. Provides endurance when tempted 1 Cor. 10:13 (bear: to carry a load; hold up under trial).
IX. CONQUERING TEMPTATION MAKES US BETTER.
A. Better Prepared for the Next Temptation 1 Pet. 5:9.
1. Each temptation can be either a stumbling block or a stepping stone.
2. 5:9 Know that you are not alone in your fight against Satan.
B. Process of Spiritual Maturity Jas. 1:2-4.
1. Each time we yield, we get weaker.
2. Each time we resist, we grow stronger.
-(Adapted from article, "Conquering Temptation," Bob Dodson, "Bible Talk," Nov. 23, 1997)