"All material is written by
Joe R. Price, unless otherwise
"And take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" (Eph. 6:17)
In this issue:
People expect many different things to happen at the end of the world. The word of God makes it very clear that Jesus Christ will return one day, and in that moment this world and everything in it will be consumed (2 Pet. 3:10). People may scoff at such a prospect if they wish, but one day the scoffing will end as “every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess to God” (Rom. 14:11). With Peter we ask, “Seeing that these things are thus all to be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy living and godliness...” (2 Pet. 3:11)? Perhaps a brief look at what to expect when Christ returns and the world ends will help us be more determined to be Christians every moment of our lives.
When Christ returns, all men can expect: 1) To be resurrected from the dead (Jno. 5:28-29; 1 Cor. 15:21-22); 2) A judgment of one’s life (Heb. 9:27); 3) A reward corresponding with one’s life (2 Cor. 5:10).
When Christ returns, Christians can expect to receive: 1) Eternal life (Titus 1:2); 2) An inheritance in heaven (1 Pet. 1:3-4); 3) Glory with Christ (Col. 3:4); 4) Rest (2 Ths. 1:7); 5) A home with Christ forever (1Ths.4:17).
When Christ returns, those who are not Christians can expect to receive: 1) Eternal punishment / destruction due to their sins (2 Ths. 1:8); 2) Vengeance (2 Ths. 1:7); 3) Eternal pain and sorrow (Matt. 25:30; Mk. 9:43-48).
With these prospects of the future, why aren’t you a Christian? Why are you convincing yourself that you can live half-heartedly as a Christian and finally go to heaven when life is over? God has never deserved nor accepted second best. The glimpses God gives us into future events should convince us to prepare for death and Christ’s return. Are you ready to meet Him? Obey the gospel and become a Christian: “Prepare to meet thy God” (Amos 4:12).
The Bible unequivocally describes homosexuality as sin. It is a sin against God (Jude 7), the home (Gen. 2:18-25), self (1 Tim. 1:10) and society (Rom. 1:18-32, esp. vss. 26-27). The reality of this truth to every Bible-believing person is too obvious to belabor. Homosexuals, unless they repent, shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven (1 Cor. 6:9-11).
America is headed in an entirely different direction concerning homosexuality. All around us, the “gays and lesbians” are gaining ground in their militant approach to secure their “rights” in society. A Gallup poll taken in the fall of 1989 showed that 47 percent of all adults believe that homosexual relations between consenting adults should be legal, up from only 33 percent in 1987. We have been silent much too long. Many battles have already been lost. Many souls have already been surrendered to the enemy. We must begin now to equip ourselves and do battle against Satan (Eph. 6:10-17).
Make no mistake; the homosexual community has an agenda. The evidence of that agenda is seen daily in government, the media, the legal system, the arts, and the schools. We must learn about the approaches being taking in an effort to “climatize” and “desensitize” society toward homosexuality. We need this information in order to equip ourselves to battle against it.
The basis for the homosexual agenda is philosophical saturation. The Humanist Manifesto II (1973) outlined the basic philosophical thinking which promotes the homosexual lifestyle:
“In the area of sexuality, we believe that intolerant attitudes, often cultivated by orthodox religions and puritanical cultures, unduly repress sexual conduct. The right of birth control, abortion, and divorce should be recognized. While we do not approve of exploitive, denigrating forms of sexual expression, neither do we wish to prohibit, by law or social sanction, sexual behavior between consenting adults. The many varieties of sexual exploration should not in themselves be considered “evil.”....Short of harming others or compelling them to do likewise, individuals should be permitted to express their sexual proclivities and pursue their life-styles as they desire....Moral education for children and adults is an important way of developing awareness and sexual maturity.” (THE HUMANIST MANIFESTO II, 18-19).
This statement is at the heart of the homosexual agenda in America. As long as it “doesn’t hurt others” (and, who decides that?), homosexuality is to be viewed as acceptable, not “evil.” And, more and more people agree. This humanistic philosophy is the acid that has stripped away respect for the God-given role of sex within monogamous, heterosexual marriage (1 Cor. 7:2-5). It is their goal to indoctrinate “children and adults” to believe there is no harm in a homosexual relationship – that it is merely another expression of love between caring adults.
This philosophical saturation of society to gain acceptance includes:
1. The media and arts. It is no secret that a large percentage of practicing homosexuals and their sympathizers are in the arts industry. It is also becoming clear that they and their supporters are using the media to advance their cause. Consider these excerpts from a recent report on homosexuality on prime time TV in 1992:
“On CBS’s NORTHERN EXPOSURE, a male couple move into town and take their place on the dance floor with the town’s other lovers, while Cicely itself, we learn, was founded by a lesbian couple.
“On NBC’s L.A. LAW, Amanda Donohoe kisses a female colleague and doesn’t commit suicide.
“On NBC’s SEINFELD, Jason Alexander panics after being sexually aroused by another man.
“On CBS’s MURPHY BROWN, Grant Shaud has his homosexual panic, inspired by a cute p.r. guy.” (Partial list from the Tennessean, 11 May 1992)
You see, if Hollywood can get you to laugh about homosexuality, or feel sympathetic toward their conduct, it has helped to reshape your mind toward the practice. By making homosexual relations part of society’s entertainment, we are being conditioned not only to tolerate its presence, but to also approve of its practice (cf. Eph. 5:6-14).
2. Governmental support. Our tax dollars are being spent by our government to further homosexual acceptance:
“...the Labor Department, under its CETA program (Comprehensive Employment and Training Act) gave $41,000 to a feminist group to perform in the nude the ‘Leaping Lesbian Follies’” (Walter Williams, The Washington Dateline).
Williams went on to say that the Los Angeles CETA has given Gay Community Services $640,000 to provide education about gay lifestyles. Public funding for homosexual causes is enormous. In his book, The Homosexual Network: Private Lives and Public Policies, Enrique Rueda notes that “the federal government provides 18.43% of the funding, the state and local governments 27.20%.... The total funding from tax sources amounts to 45.63%.”
The Internal Revenue Service has also helped the homosexual cause by recognizing homosexual organizations as eligible for tax-exempt, charitable organization status. And President-elect Clinton wants to formally end the ban against homosexuals in the military. Our government has drunk long and deep from the well of the homosexual agenda – and we are financing it!
3. The educational system. The shaping of children’s minds insures the perpetuity of moral standards. So, it is little wonder that humanism has infiltrated our educational system. In New York City the Chancellor of schools, Joseph Fernandez, is trying to persuade school board officials and parents to accept the “Children of the Rainbow” curriculum. It is designed to teach “positive images” of different social groups, including homosexual parents. Two books on the proposed reading list presently causing a furor are Daddy’s Roommate and Heather Has Two Mommies. Furthermore, sex education in the public schools, in places, is being used to validate homosexuality and other forms of fornication.
4. Religious approval. The official stand of the Episcopal Church is to include practicing homosexuals into their priesthood. Many other denominations have been wrestling with whether or not to accept homosexuals into their fellowship. There is even a church founded by and for homosexuals – The Metropolitan Community Church. Founded in 1968 by Troy D. Perry (a homosexual), its membership accepts homosexuality as “a gift from God” (Handbook of Denominations, Mead, 8th ed., 172-173). Numerous others churches are now following suit.
What can Christians do in the face of humanism and its homosexual agenda? 1) Be informed. 2) Study the Bible about these subjects. 3) Pray. 4) Teach the truth to all who will listen. 5) Take a moral stand. 6) Be vocal (use our rights as a citizens to oppose its intrusion). 7) Be prepared to suffer (2 Tim. 3:12).
“Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24)
The book penned by the apostle John presents sufficient evidence for men to believe that Jesus of Nazareth is the Christ, the Son of God. Eternal life is the aim of such faith (Jno. 20:30-31).
John portrays Jesus in a series of “I Am” statements, as sufficient meet man’s every need. The following are among the reasons to put your faith in Jesus and do His will in your life.
1. I am the bread of life (Jno. 6:35, 48). Jesus gives the food that sustains eternal life – His words (Jno. 6:27, 63).
2. I am the light of the world (Jno. 8:12; 9:5). Jesus illuminates the sinner’s walk in this dark world of sin.
3. I am the door (Jno. 10:7, 9). Jesus is our access to spiritual salvation and safety.
4. I am the good shepherd (Jno. 10:11, 14). Jesus guards and leads His sheep.
5. I am the resurrection and the life (Jno. 11:25). Jesus is the source of eternal life.
6. I am the way, the truth and the life (Jno. 14:6). Jesus is the only way to come to the Father.
7. I am the true vine (Jno. 15:1). Jesus is the life source of His disciples.
Created by Chuck Sibbing -
The Spirit's Sword is a free,
weekly publication of the Mt. Baker church of Christ, Bellingham, WA