Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hosea 7:1-3
Desensitized to Sin (1)
1. Dentist uses a numbing agent, then lidocaine, to desensitize nerves.
2. Satan uses devises to desensitize Christians of sin and error. (2 Cor. 2:11)
3. “…to make emotionally insensitive or callous; specifically: to extinguish an emotional response (as of fear, anxiety, or guilt) to stimuli that formerly induced it” (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary).
4. “Far from living in a world elsewhere, the faithful in the United States are remarkably like everyone else.” He goes on to say that religion in the United States “has never existed in practice the way it is supposed to exist in theory” and that in the battle between faith and culture, “American culture has triumphed.” (Alan Wolfe, How We Actually Live Our Faith)
5. God’s people can be (are becoming, already are) desensitized to sin… Souls are being lost, Jer. 6:15; 1 Tim. 4:2; Heb. 3:12-13.
I. WHY DO WE BECOME DESENSITIZED TO SIN AND ERROR?
A. Lack of Knowledge, Hos. 4:6.
1. Some have not learned or been taught what is sin.
2. Cure: Teach…and learn, cf. Eph. 4:20-21; Heb. 5:12-14.
B. Fail to Put Off the Old Man, Eph. 4:17-24.
1. Remain “past feeling” concerning sin.
2. Cure: Transform mind to conform to God’s will, Rom. 12:1-2.
C. Influence of Worldly People and Things, 1 Cor. 15:33 (Prov. 6:27).
1. Music, fashion, TV, movies, books, magazines, language, values…
2. Cure: Beware the deceitfulness of sin, Heb. 3:13.
a. Don’t love the world (1 Jno. 2:15-17).
b. Don’t pitch our tents toward Sodom (Gen. 13:12).
D. Complacency Toward God’s Will in Our Lives, Zeph. 1:12.
1. Lack of faith in what God says about sin and error.
2. Cure: Wake up and do not be indifferent, Rom. 13:11-12.
E. Obstinate Rebellion Against the Will of God, Heb. 3:7-11.
1. Willful sin, Heb. 10:26-27.
2. Cure: Fear God and obey Him, Heb. 10:31 (Prov. 1:7; 9:10
Part 2: Renewing sensitivity toward immorality and error.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 11, 2017