Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Philippians 2:12-16
Work Out Your Own Salvation
1. Previous obedience motivates us to continue to be faithful. It is not a reason to become negligent, but to remain faithful, Phil. 2:12.
2. Obedience to Christ is not a matter of eye service.
3. Work out: “to work fully, i.e. accomplish; by impl. to finish, fashion” (Strong, G2716).
a. Your own salvation (can’t work out someone else’s salvation).
b. With fear (phobos, “alarm or fright,” Strong, G5401).
c. With trembling (tromos, “quaking with fear,” Strong, G5156).
4. Bring your salvation to its full accomplishment, its complete conclusion.
5. As we grow in faith to maturity we “press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus,” Phil. 3:14 (12-14).
I. HOW WE WORK OUT OUR OWN SALVATION, Phil. 2:1-16.
1. By encouraging others, Phil. 2:1-4.
a. In love, 2:1; Jno. 13:34-35. (1 Tim. 1:5)
b. In unity, 2:2; Eph. 4:3-6.
c. In humility, 2:3; 1 Cor. 13:5.
d. In service, 2:4; 1 Pet. 4:9-11.
2. By having the mind of Christ, Phil. 2:5-8.
a. Mind of sacrifice, 2:7.
b. Mind of submission, 2:7.
c. Mind of steadfastness, 2:8.
d. Mind of surrender, 2:8.
3. By remembering we serve Christ as Lord, 2:9-11.
a. Completely submit ourselves to Christ, Rom. 8:5-9.
b. Full obedience and surrender to be His disciples, Lk. 6:40, 46.
4. By faithfully obeying the will of Christ, Phil. 2:12.
a. Because of salvation, Heb. 5:8-9; Matt. 7:21-23.
b. Because of God and His blessings, Heb. 12:28 (Eph. 1:3).
c. Because we intend to avoid punishment, Heb. 12:29.
d. Give careful attention to our obedience, which is submission to the will (word) of God, 1 Tim. 4:6; 2 Tim. 3:10.
5. By putting away sinful, destructive conduct, Phil. 2:14.
a. Grumbling: Complaining, murmuring, muttering, Acts 6:1.
b. Disputing: Argument, verbal exchange of conflict, Lk. 9:46.
6. By being lights in the world, Phil. 2:15 (Matt. 5:16).
a. Blameless (without fault, irreproachable), and
b. Harmless (innocent) Pure, unmixed with evil (Rom. 16:19).
c. Shine as lights in darkness: Stand out, be distinguished from the immoral and depraved generation, 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
7. By holding fast the word of life, Phil. 2:16.
a. Hold fast: Retain (Strong, G1907), detain, pay attention to (cf. 1 Tim. 4:16).
b. Pay attention to the word of God – It is the word that gives life, Jno. 12:50 (48-49); 6:68.
c. Test every motive, attitude, and action against God’s word, 1 Thess. 5:21; 2 Tim. 2:15.
1. God works in our faithful obedience to work His will (to accomplish His purposes) through us, Phil. 2:13.
2. Our labor is not in vain in the Lord (1 Cor. 15:58) – It accomplishes our salvation as God accomplishes His will in and through us.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted March 13, 2020